Saturday, December 20, 2008

Oh, Buffalo..

I've come back to you after so many days away, and today I found those old dreams still looming.

The sale at the Western New York Book Arts Center was fantastic- and I speak above and beyond any sales made. Though I did make them, and had a few folks tell me I was under-priced! How sweet. I have raised my prices some- but really I just want people to take my little creations home and love them. Silly? Yea, maybe.

While all of that was lovely in and of itself, what was truly spectacular were the
incredible people I met and talked with. Some were folks I've met before now such as Abbey of AestheticOutburst and Jeffery Vincent. But gladly many new ones too, like Shelly of French Press, Nicole of Freshly{Blended}, Chris of Ferrum Wheel (among many, many other things..) and Carol of CrowBiz. Conversations ranged from the latest episodes of 30 Rock (who doesn't love Tina Fey?) to the more pressing matters of the state of the arts in Buffalo.

Having bounced back and forth amongst many Upstate NY cities I've always felt more at home with this town. Rochester kicked my butt and Syracuse just never caught my interest. People spoke of their passion for the old buildings downtown and the longing to own one, about taking the initiative and starting something on their own. It rekindled those old thoughts, the desire to own my own little space. I once again saw myself curled up in a little yarn shop, selling skeins and needles, hanging art, holding events and having regular stitch and bitch circles.

For now I will happily distract myself with one in my own living room (POST-holiday of course) when I will finish up a few commissions, at last make something for me, start preparing for the spring shows and setting up that etsy shop at long long last!

And I will share my current favorite song of the moment, John Cale's version of "Hallelujah"

2 comments:

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Glad to hear it went well! Hope you're having a good December :)

joAnn said...

I'm so glad you have found a place to hang your heart. Rochester will miss you, but i think Buffalo will love you back!