Wednesday, July 30, 2008

incredible...


While searching for information on how to make yarn from non-traditional fibers, I found this. A project by a Dutch design student. That's yarn from old newspapers. Talk about recycling. I found this absolutely stunning.


I was looking for instructions on how to spin yarn from cat hair, which i found here. I haven't gone so far as to start making it yet. But soon enough. This is crazy cat lady to the second power!

The more I involve myself in fibers and fabrics, the more I feel a responsibility to reuse materials- and purchase unbleached muslins. Locally, the best resource is still the dreaded JoAnns. But I do try to reuse my old clothing and purchase things from thrift stores. Though I'd be lying if I didn't admit the allure of those cute little fat quarters were overwhelming at times. We all do what we can. And like my friends and I used to say it's a "roadside revolution." We're all on the path, just a different places. The point is not to be perfect, the point is to try.

Perhaps we should all take a cue from Greetje van Tiem!



1 comment:

joAnn said...

i couldn't agree more. i think there is a responsibility to what we are doing. i take it very seriously and have gone as far as vowing never to buy new material again. it can be salvaged or thrifted, but not new off the bolt. what reason is there when so much awesome fabric is out there waiting to become something else? i am dying to know how you turn newspaper into yarn!
glad to see you back here. have been missing you my friend.